AB 775 Reproductive FACT Act (Chiu, D-San Francisco)
Would enact the Reproductive FACT (Freedom, Accountability, Comprehensive Care, and Transparency) Act, which would require licensed covered facilities to disseminate a notice to all clients stating that “California has public programs that provide immediate free or low-cost access to comprehensive family planning services (including all FDA-approved methods of contraception), prenatal care, and abortion, for eligible women.”
HISTORY & BACKGROUND
The bill would require licensed Pregnancy Medical Centers, specifically those devoted to pro-life, to advertise the availability of abortion. If they do not, the centers would be fined.
It would also require unlicensed Pregnancy Resource Centers to disseminate a notice to all clients, stating that the facility is not licensed as a medical facility by the State of California, in at least 22 font on all advertisements.
Should a center not comply, the government would impose civil penalties against said facilities. This bill would also require the Attorney General to post on the Department of Justice’s Web site a list of the facilities upon which a civil penalty has been imposed for non-compliance.
The bill states that it is meant to “regulate” the state’s pregnancy centers/clinics, but instead, AB 775 discriminates against pregnancy centers/clinics that hold a pro-life view. This bill is in direct violation of our First Amendment Right of Free Speech. This bill is government compelled speech.
Excert from stopab775now.com:
- AB 775 is an attack on non-profit (many of which are faith based) organizations because these community groups are helping women find alternatives to abortion.
- AB 775 forces abortion-alternative nonprofits to advertise against their organization’s mission and core values.
- AB775 undermines the patient & medical provider relationship by requiring that Healthcare Professionals at abortion-alternative licensed medical clinics provide a referral to an agency that determines eligibility for state funded abortions BEFORE the women is even seen by the Healthcare Professional. This is bad medical practice.There are an estimated 1 million California residents who support these abortion-alternatives organizations.
- This bill forces abortion-alternative organizations to refer women to a government program that provides state funding for abortions.
- AB 775 undermines the patient and medical provider relationship by giving the patient the impression that a recommendation for treatment has been made by licensed Healthcare Professionals before they have had the opportunity to perform a medical assessment.
Go to stopab775now.com for further information.
Other Websites with AB 775 Information: